The fight between welterweight world titleholder Jeff Horn and former undisputed junior welterweight world champion Terence Crawford was officially rescheduled on Thursday.
Horn, who will be making his second title defense, will face Crawford on June 9 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Top Rank announced. The fight will headline a Top Rank ESPN event, but specific broadcast information has not yet been finalized. The fight will air either on ESPN+, the network’s forthcoming subscription streaming service, or on the main network.
The 30-year-old Crawford, from Omaha, Nebraska, became the undisputed 140-pound champion on Aug. 19, when he unified the division’s four major belts by knocking out Julius Indongo in the third round. He then vacated the titles in order to move up to 147 pounds to take on Horn as his mandatory challenger.
“It’s exciting to see ‘Bud’ Crawford move up to the welterweight division. In Jeff Horn, he fights a big, rough, tough welterweight who won the title from one of the greats, Manny Pacquiao,” Top Rank chairman Bob Arum said.
The fight was initially scheduled for April 14 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, but it was postponed when Crawford (32-0, 23 KOs), the 2017 ESPN fighter of the year, suffered a right hand injury during a sparring session earlier this month. The injury was not too serious, and the fight was quickly rescheduled.
“I cannot wait to get back in the ring on June 9 and win the WBO welterweight championship,” said Crawford, who has remained in training camp in Colorado Springs, Colorado, since the injury. “Jeff Horn and his team better be ready, because they are going to see a bigger, stronger and more powerful Terence Crawford. I am going home with that belt.”
Read the rest of the article here: