Canelo suspended by the NSAC

Canelo suspended by the NSAC

The middleweight championship rematch between Gennady “Triple-G” Golovkin and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez scheduled for May 5 in Las Vegas could be in jeopardy after the Nevada Athletic Commission temporarily suspended Alvarez on Friday to further investigate the circumstances surrounding his recent positive tests for a banned substance.

Tom Loeffler, the promoter for Golovkin, said the Nevada Athletic Commission will hold a meeting April 10 to make a final decision on the bout. Loeffler said the NAC temporarily suspended Alvarez after meeting with Loeffler and Eric Gomez of Golden Boy Promotions on Friday in Las Vegas. The meeting was to discuss the two positive tests from samples taken on Feb. 17 and Feb. 20 in Mexico.

The Alvarez camp has insisted the positive tests, for the banned substance clenbuterol, are the result of the boxer eating contaminated meat in Mexico. The Golovkin camp has accused Alvarez of intentionally using performance-enhancing drugs to bulk up to the 160-pound middleweight limit. The drug is said to help a person with conditioning and endurance.

“The commission had to follow its rules and temporarily suspend Canelo because of the tests, but we’re waiting for April 10 to see what the final ruling is,” Loeffler said. “Gennady is still training and still wants to fight on May 5. Hopefully, it will be against Canelo.”

Francisco Vargas and Erik Morales previously tested positive for clenbuterol and were allowed to fight after they blamed it on contaminated meat eaten in Mexico.

“We have full faith in the commission,” Loeffler said. “They’re doing a thorough job of investigating this. Nothing is being swept under the rug.”

Article courtesy of the New York Post

COMMENTS